Monday, February 20, 2012

Recipe: Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes


These are amazing, so I wanted to share!  I don't recall where the recipe came from, and I usually end up modifying things like this to use 1/2 whole wheat flour - so here is what my family uses.   Using whole wheat flour makes them healthier, but I also find they seem to keep you full longer!

Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes with Whipped Cream and Nutmeg

Quick comment on whole wheat flour.  If you don't like, or aren't use to, the stronger taste of whole wheat - I have two options you could try.   You can usually find "whole wheat pastry flour" at your local health food grocer.  It is ground finer and has a great, milder flavor.  Or there is a lighter, but still whole grain, option called "white whole wheat".  Our local Walmart stocks one called Prairie Gold, by the Wheat Montana Farms & Bakery company.  Also very mild, it hardly seems like wheat at all.

Also, when you substitute wheat flour for part of all of the flour in a recipe you find ... you'll need to add a little extra moisture, too (for example with milk, applesauce, mashed bananas, etc).  This recipe has that built in - you shouldn't need to vary the amounts.

A little visual walk through ... the recipe's at the end.

Mix dry ingredients together and set aside
Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl

After wet ingredients well blended, add the pumpkin
Add wet mix to dry and mix - don't beat, leave very slightly lumpy
We like to use a griddle to fry our pancakes!
When you go to fry these (and flip them), you will notice they are a little different than regular pancakes.  They are a little heavier, and more delicate when flipping due to the pumpkin ingredient.

Enjoy!!

*o*     *o*     *o*

Here's the recipe:

Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 Tbl. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. buttermilk
2 1/2 Tbls. milk
1/4 c. oil
1 egg
2/3 c. canned pumpkin

Mix dry ingredients together.  Wisk milks, oil and egg.  Then add pumpkin to the wet mixture and mix.  Last, add wet ingredients to the dry and combine.  Fry, and serve with whipped cream, maple syrup, and nutmeg!

NOTE:  This a fairly small recipe - feeds around 2 or 3.  Double it if you are feeding more! :)










3 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds wonderful! I have some canned pumpkin sitting in my pantry that's calling my name. Wish I'd read it before this morning's breakfast. Will have to try these soon. Expect they'll be a hit in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lawd, lol!! Nothing like food to get my attention. I know my hubby will love this. Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend :)

    Following back from "Find Friends" hop. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubled the recipe and it was wonderful. Had to watch the cooking time since it was harder to tell if it was cooked before it burned. Definitely will make again for the family. My family spread cream cheese on it. I like it plain hot of the griddle.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...