Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why in the world would I make a cake from SCRATCH?

For years I pondered the question, "Since making a cake is clearly an exact enough science that they have it perfected to the point where you can buy a box mix for $.99 ... why would anyone go to the hassle of making one from scratch?"  Have you ever pondered them same thing?  Then I'm here with a gratifying answer for you today.

Because making one from scratch is going to ROCK YOUR WORLD, and those of your cake-eatin' loved ones - that's why!

Eewwy goooey yumness

My neighbor friend is known for her amazing chocolate cakes.  One taste, and you're hooked.  I assumed this was not a skill I would be able to add to my  repertoire, and perhaps you are thinking the same thing... but take heart!  She freely shared her recipe, and the secret is - it's just not that hard, and it's sooo worth it!  Read on, and give it a shot.

First, you're going to want to get yourself two nice cake pans.  If you've only ever poured your little box cake mix into a 9 X 11 pan thusfar in your life, it's time to stretch outside of your comfort zone.  Trust me on this one, I'll walk you through it and you (and your cake-eatin' loved ones) will be forever grateful.  You can doooo it!

Back to the cake pans.  I got mine at the discount store "Ross".  Which can be a decent place to get kitchen things like cake pans.  But do yourself a favor:  peel back the paper label on the inside bottom of the pan, and take a little look-see to make sure they are really the same kind.  Or, if you do NOT have a Type A personality like myself ... go on ahead and skim down a few paragraphs. 

Ok - back to the cake pans at Ross.  That was probably the only time in my life that I splurged on TWO cake pans at once (my kitchen is filled with quite the mismatched hodgepodge of baking pans).  They looked identical.  The paper labels were identical.  I get them home and lo and behold - one has a different inside bottom than the other, and is actually a different brand.  Bugger! 

Not a huge deal, it was just really anti-climactic after my exciting "I'm buying TWO MATCHING PANS!  You can't stop me.  Don't stand next to my fire, you're gonna get burned." shopping spree.  At this point the reader wondered,  "Why didn't she just take them back, instead of whining to us about it, 3 years later, via this boring anecdote?".  Because I'm too lazy .... er, busy ... that's why.  Thanks for asking. 

Anywhoo.  Grease and flour those bad boys well.  Don't be stingy.  If this goes against your grain (I confess, I am naturally stingy), just tell yourself this is a make-or-break-it kinda requirement.  Later, you're gonna want the cakes to slip out nicely.



I'm slightly embarrassed at how blotchy these turned out, but you get the point.  Perfection always welcome, but never required.

The true baking aficionado's, as well as the photography aficionado's, are laughing and pointing at me now.  I don't care.  Let them go read the fancy cooking blogs ... this is the best I can do, and we here are just everyday bakers of chocolate cake for our loved ones and the occasional potluck.  Hear us roar!  And watch our smoke ... (figuratively, hopefully not literally).


Here's the mixer I didn't even know I wanted, until I got one for an Anniversary present from my mom.  Now I love it almost more than life itself, and I sleep with it under my pillow each and every night.  If you get all crazy on a baking jag after this, and you don't have one ... put that sweet monster on your wish list.  And yes, spend the money for a Kitchen-Aid - it's worth it.  Remember, we're shooting for figurative smoke, not literal - you don't want a cheap one with a motor that can't handle all the cool things you'll use it for.

Ok - we are ready!  (Note, if it's easier - the entire recipe is at the bottom of this post.)

First, heat the oven to 350 degrees, and start boiling some water (you'll need 1 cup).

Put these dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix em up:

2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

I know there is more sugar than flour.  I know it's disturbing.  You're in the "Two Layer Chocolate Cake From Scratch" Big Leagues here - just muscle through it.    Oh, and speaking of flour ... here's a little tip I learned from my bread making days.  Don't use the measuring cup to scoop out your flour - that compacts more in, and you end up with too much (leading to dryness).  Use something else to scoop out of your flour container, and pour into the measuring cup. 


Bonus tip:  Your baked stuff will taste even better, if you let Micky Mouse help you measure.  Scientific fact.

Now add these wet ingredients:

2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Stir in 1 c. boiling water.  The batter will be so runny and thin you'll worry that something is wrong - it's not.  It doesn't seem like this will bake into a lovely cake.  Maybe a lovely pudding, but not a cake.  But it will! 

Bake on center rack for 30-32 minutes.

When you take them out, put them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes.


Mismatched racks?!  No story, there (whew!).  Clearly my own fault.
After they've cooled for 10 minutes, run a knife around the outside edge.  Spray non-stick spray on those same cooling racks, and place on the top of one of the cakes - then flip.




Don't panic if this happens, after the flip.  Just call your Fairy Godmother in ...


Bippidi
Boppidi

 
Boo!
Now them them cool until room temperature.  If I'm insulting your intelligence, and you just want the recipe, please scroll to the bottom.  Otherwise, I'm going to keep walking you "First Timers at the Double Cake Rodeo"ers through this step by step.

I know it's bulky, but it's really nice to use one of these.  I love quality tools for the kitchen, but in this case I just got a cheap 'cake taker' from Walmart for about $6.


Wow.  What a horrible picture.  Sorry!  I need a new camera. 
One nice thing about going with a cheap, crappy cake container is you have little to no anxiety loaning it out or taking it to school potlucks where you may, or may not, ever see it again!  Yay!  And it still works pretty good, too.  Not so with the $200 Tupperware model.  You have to guard that one like a jealous momma black bear, and then nobody likes you much, after that.

Lay the white bottom of the cake taker right on top of one of your cakes, and flip it over.  Then you can peel the cooling rack off.



I didn't want to scare you at the outset, with talk of home made frosting, but here's your recipe for that.  Hey, in for a penny, in for a pound!  Don't wimp out on me now.

1/2 c. butter
2/3 c. cocoa
3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Melt the butter.  Stir in cocoa.  Alternately stir in milk and powdered sugar, beating on medium speed until it's the consistency you like.  Add more milk, if it's too thick.  Last add 1 tsp vanilla.  Now you're ready to frost the top of that first cake - make it a pretty generous layer, everyone loves a healthy glob of frosting in the middle!


Mmmmm... healthy glob of frosting.

Check and make sure the little one is still being entertained by "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse".


Yep.  He's good.

Now place your second cake on top.


I took one other picture of this step.  It was equally as bad.
We're getting close.  It's exciting, isn't it?


Now frost the top and sides of your double-decker cake.  Can you believe you did it? 


Y-U-M!  Money can't buy this kinda chocolate love.
Enjoy.  Share.  And let Mickey help you clean up.



*o*     *o*     *o*

Here's the recipe in one spot, if it's easier:

CHOCOLATE CAKE

First, grease and flour 2 cake pans.  Heat the oven to 350 degrees, and start boiling some water (you'll need 1 cup).  Put these dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix em up:

2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Now add these wet ingredients:

2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. 
Stir in 1 c. boiling water. 

Bake 30-32 minutes at 350.  Cool on rack 10 minutes.  Remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.  Frost.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 c. butter
2/3 c. cocoa
3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Melt the butter.  Stir in cocoa.  Alternately stir in milk and powdered sugar, beating on medium speed until it's the consistency you like.  Add more milk, if it's too thick.  Last add 1 tsp vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...